Wednesday, November 23, 2011

More Creative Cuisine

My first attempt at making Ghanaian palava sauce turned out OK. Actually couldn't do much to mess it up as the recipe mainly involves adding parboiled "alifu" greens (similar to spinach) at the end-stage of a tomato based sauce. The palava is usually served on top of sliced yams but we happened to have regular potatoes handy instead.
Maintenance is a big problem here in Tamale so when something gets broken, it often takes a long time (and a lot of patience) before it gets fixed. Case in point is our oven which, unfortunately, I may not see operating again before we are due to leave for Accra in December. Therefore, I decided to take advantage of our computer and googled "how to bake cake in a microwave." Thought I better start with muffins and even though they were not able to brown, the consistency was not nearly as rubbery as I had feared. Armed with more confidence, will try my hand at a microwavable cake tomorrow.

No comments: